Wednesday, September 8, 2021

Exploring Minnesota - Minnesota River Valley Trip - Pipestone

We set out for the southwest corner of Minnesota to begin our trip down the Minnesota River Valley.  Our first stop was Pipestone.

It is a sacred place for many.  The Native Americans came to this place to quarry the rock used for pipestones.  The quarry is operational to this day.









There is a visitor center and a long trail through the quarry area.  The visitor is reminded that buffalo roamed this area and there are exhibits of prairie grasses of the Great Plains.























It is interesting that there is this one place where the red rock appeared.





























As we walked the trail, I told Dianne I was on a mission.  I told her of my childhood visit to this place.  My uncle had teased me and my cousins about leaping out on a certain rock along the trail.  Could I find the rock?  Yes, we came across "leaping rock" and you can see from these pictures that the leap is dangerous.











Over the centuries, Pipestone Creek wore down the rock cliffs exposing the special rock.  Buffalo paused to drink along the creek.





The trail was very interesting and included caves and waterfalls.



Next stop, Walnut Grove, childhood home of Laura Ingalls Wilder.





No comments:

Post a Comment