Thursday, May 14, 2020

Minnesotan Through and Through

We are packed and ready to return to our home area in Minnesota.  There has been some time each day for reflection about what it is to be a Minnesotan.  Yes, being born and raised there is a big part of it.  But there are more connections.  This is a short story about just one connection to the state.

Dianne and I were living in Heidelberg, Germany.  I had a great job as an International Super-Computer Technician, complete with a secret clearance.  We had Laurie and another child was on the way (Lisa).  We had been out of the USA for almost two years.  There was something gnawing at me, something I needed to do.  It would require years of sacrifice for our young family.  I would need to quit my job to accomplish my goal.  Some thought I was crazy for undertaking the sacrifice of time and effort.

What I wanted out of all this effort and sacrifice by the family was a piece of paper.  Not of much value in itself as paper, but value beyond words for me.  I keep that piece of paper close by and it is just one more connection to Minnesota.  You can take the boy out of Minnesota but you can not take the Minnesota out of the boy.  Pictured below is the piece of paper.


No comments:

Post a Comment